Your browser appears to be out of date. For the best experience, please consider upgrading to Firefox.
The Medical Education Institute (MEI) is a non-profit 501(c)(3) dedicated to helping people with chronic diseases learn to manage and improve their health.
To fulfill our mission:
- We conduct health behavior research to better understand the patient experience and the interactions between patients and their healthcare teams.
- We create educational materials—based on research and adult education principles—to empower patients to manage their health.
- We distribute these educational resources at little or no cost to maximize their availability.
- We work with policy-makers and providers to create patient-friendly, rehab-friendly policy.
Funding for our work comes from several sources, including:
- Educational grants
- Government contracts and subcontracts
- Sponsorship and individual donations
- Fees for project-based assignments
- Licensing fees for our KDQOL-COMPLETE website
Home Dialysis Central (more)
- 2011 Aesculapius Award of Excellence
- 2008 National Health Information Award – Your Life, Your Choice (DVD)
- 2007 Aesculapius Award of Excellence
- 2004 World Wide Web Health Award
- 2003–2003 Golden Web Award
Kidney School (more)
- 2011 Silver Web Health Award
- 2010 Aesculapius Award of Excellence
Life Options (more)
- 2013 National Health Information Award - Help, I Need Dialysis!
- 2012 Bronze Web Health Award – Let's Talk About...Dialysis Options
- 2011 Gold Web Health Award – Let's Talk About...Fistulas
- 2003 National Health Information Award
- 2002–2003 Golden Web Award
- 2002 Golden Nephron Award
- 2001–2002 Golden Web Award
- 2001 HealingWell.com Editor's Choice Award
- 1997 NN&I Quality of Life Award
My Life, My Dialysis Choice
- 2014 Gold Web Health Award
- 2014 Aesculapius Award of Excellence
Dori Schatell, MS - MEI Executive Director
- 2015 Annual Dialysis Conference Special Recognition Award
The MEI was founded in 1993 by Edith Oberley, Paulette Sacksteder, and William Hofeldt. At that point, Edith had been her husband Terry’s home hemodialysis partner for 20 years. Dori Schatell has been a part of the MEI team since it was founded and took the role of Executive Director in 2001.
The MEI Team
The Medical Education Institute team includes experienced researchers, writers, editors, designers, social workers, and patient education experts with decades of experience in healthcare communications.
Selected Clients & Sponsors
- Amgen Inc.
- Baxter Healthcare
- Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS)
- Forum of ESRD Networks
- Fresenius Medical Services
- Gambro Healthcare
- Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield of New Jersey
- International Society of Hemodialysis (ISHD)
- The Kidney Trust
- National Kidney Foundation
- Northwest Kidney Centers
- NxStage Medical, Inc.
- Research Triangle Institute
- U.S. Veteran's Administration